Summer of Goliath starts wiht two boys being interviwed, one of the is nicknamed Goliath; he alleges to have killed his girlfriend. However, the protagonism falls under Teresa, who spents her days desperately trying to understand why her husband left. A portrait of a small rural town, divided into two obssesive themes, that, in reality, are just one: death and loneliness. Summer of Goliath is a meditation about abandonment suffering, broken promises, disconections and eternal longing.
Director, screenplay, producer, editor / Nicolás Pereda
Producer / Andres Castañeda
Sound Directo / Mauricio Villalba
Mezcla de Sound / Alejandro de Icaza
Cast / Teresa Sánchez, Gabino Rodríguez, Juana Rodríguez, Harold Torres, Oscar Saavedra Miranda, Nico Saavedra Miranda, Amalio Saavedra Miranda
Verano de Goliat is a production from En Chinga Films, Santas Producciones and IMCINE.
Film Distribution / Interior13 Cine
Canadá, México. 2010
Ficción, 76 min.
Mexico City, 1982. Pereda did his masters degree in film directing at York University. He has filmed six feature films and one short hilm that have awarded him many prized at different festivals worldwide. He has made several films and vidios for interdisciplinary montages, operas and dance pieces that have been presented in Mexico, Asia and Europe. Gabino Rodríguez and Teresa Sánchez are his main stars, but he has considered working with other actors an to hire Gabino as his asistant. He lives between Canada and Mexico, and is married to Andrea Bussmann. They have two children.
Pereda's films have been shown at many film festivals, such as: Cannes, Venecia, Rotterdam, FIDMarseille, Viena y Edinburgo, and has won several prizes at their competitions. His first film retrospecctivos took place at Cine de las Américas in Austin, Texas, in 2010. This one was followed by others: in Jeonju, Anthology Film Archives, Paris Cinema, Cartagena IFF, UCLA, Valdivia FF and Harvard Film Archive, among many others in Madris, Seattle, San Francisco, Belo Horizonte and the TIFF Bell Lightbox in Toronto.
- Historias de dos que soñaron (Tales of Two Who Dreamt) 2016, 82 min., ficción * co-dirección Andrea Bussmann
- Minotauro 2015, 56 min., ficción
- Los ausentes 2014, 80 min., ficción
- El palacio (The Palace) 2013, 36 min., documental, HD
- Matar extraños (Killing Strangers) co-directed w/Jacob Schulsinger, 2013, 63 min., experimental, HD
- Los mejores temas (Greatest Hits) 2012, 103 min., ficción, HD
- Verano de Goliat (Summer of Goliath) 2010, 76min., ficción, 35mm
- Todo, en fin, el silencio lo ocupaba (All things were now overtaken by silence) 2010, 61 min, documental, HD
- Perpetuum Mobile 2009, 86 min, ficción, 35mm
- Entrevista con la tierra (Interview with the Earth) 2009, 18min, documental, HD
- Juntos (Together) 2009, 73min, ficción, HD
- ¿Dónde están sus historias? (Where are their stories?) 2007, 73min, ficción, 35mm
Festivales y Premios
- Ganadora Premio Orizzonti Mejor Película
Festival Internacional de Cine de Venecia
- Ganadora Mejor Película
Festival Internacional de Cine de Valdivia
- Festival de Cine de Toronto
- International Film Festival Rotterdam
- Selección Oficial Toulouse
- New Directors/New Films