Where are their stories?, Pereda's debut feature film tells the story of Vicente (Gabino Rodríguez), a young farmer that lives with his grandmother (Juana Rodríguez) in a small town in Mexico, When his uncles come back from the United States, and threaten his grandma with selling her lot, Vicente travels to Mexico City, seeking for justice. There, he stays with his mother (Teresa Sánchez), whom he has not seen since he was a kid and who is working as a domestic houseworker in a middle class home. He is forced to live in a foreing environment and has to face the reality of not knowing nothing about his mother, while he is fighting against an apparently impenetrable judicial system on his own.
Director, Screenplay, Editing / Nicolás Pereda
Cinematography / Alejandro Coronado
Camera Assintat / Fermín Armendia, Lebrac Turrubiates
Sound / Ana García Baruch Frías, Alfredo Herrera
Cast / Nicolás Pereda, Eufracia Zapoteco
Production / Catalina Pereda, Nicolás Pereda
Executive Production / Marcela Rodríguez
Producers / En Chinga Films
Cast / Gabino Rodríguez, Juana Rodríguez, Teresa Sánchez, Clarisa Malheiros, Refugio Alejo, Eufracia Zapoteco, Ciro López, Luis Pérez, Ana Gutierrez, José María de Tavira, José Manuel Rodríguez, Alberto Rodríguez, Michael Schuesler
Ficción, 73 min.
Mexico City, 1982. Pereda did his masters degree in film directing at York University. He has filmed six feature films and one short hilm that have awarded him many prized at different festivals worldwide. He has made several films and vidios for interdisciplinary montages, operas and dance pieces that have been presented in Mexico, Asia and Europe. Gabino Rodríguez and Teresa Sánchez are his main stars, but he has considered working with other actors an to hire Gabino as his asistant. He lives between Canada and Mexico, and is married to Andrea Bussmann. They have two children.
Pereda's films have been shown at many film festivals, such as: Cannes, Venecia, Rotterdam, FIDMarseille, Viena y Edinburgo, and has won several prizes at their competitions. His first film retrospecctivos took place at Cine de las Américas in Austin, Texas, in 2010. This one was followed by others: in Jeonju, Anthology Film Archives, Paris Cinema, Cartagena IFF, UCLA, Valdivia FF and Harvard Film Archive, among many others in Madris, Seattle, San Francisco, Belo Horizonte and the TIFF Bell Lightbox in Toronto.
- Historias de dos que soñaron (Tales of Two Who Dreamt) 2016, 82 min., ficción * co-dirección Andrea Bussmann
- Minotauro 2015, 56 min., ficción
- Los ausentes 2014, 80 min., ficción
- El palacio (The Palace) 2013, 36 min., documental, HD
- Matar extraños (Killing Strangers) co-directed w/Jacob Schulsinger, 2013, 63 min., experimental, HD
- Los mejores temas (Greatest Hits) 2012, 103 min., ficción, HD
- Verano de Goliat (Summer of Goliath) 2010, 76min., ficción, 35mm
- Todo, en fin, el silencio lo ocupaba (All things were now overtaken by silence) 2010, 61 min, documental, HD
- Perpetuum Mobile 2009, 86 min, ficción, 35mm
- Entrevista con la tierra (Interview with the Earth) 2009, 18min, documental, HD
- Juntos (Together) 2009, 73min, ficción, HD
- ¿Dónde están sus historias? (Where are their stories?) 2007, 73min, ficción, 35mm
Festivales y Premios
- Mejor Película
Festival Internacional de Cine de Morelia
- French Critics’ Discovery Award
Toulouse Latin American Film Festival